Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Verdict is In (Well, the first one...)

So our costume lady was right in telling me that I'll be playing Pudney, the cop at the end of Rumors.  I at least get full EMC points for it instead of just understudy credit.  I'll also be understudying the role of Chris, which is who I would likely be cast as in the real world, so that will be a useful credit on my resume.  Rehearsals begin on Tuesday, so I'm excited to watch the rest of the actors and to work with the artistic director.  Hopefully if he likes me enough during this, he will cast me in one of the other shows.

Tonight we have a designer run through for Thomas Edison, so hopefully whoever comes to watch the rehearsal will be pleased with our work.  It's turning out to be a good show, in spite of the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the script.  We still haven't added all the props or the million costume changes we have, so my brain has not completely exploded yet.  Give it time.

The interns and I are slowly starting to figure out our working relationships.  They have said a few times that I remind them of having a Mom around.  I think they meant that in a positive way?  I can work with that title, I suppose.  I seem to be the one who brings everyone back to focus when we digress or spend too much time on a problem that needn't exist.  We are getting to the point that we are figuring out what each other's "thing" is, and learning to take it for what it is.  I guess they are learning that I am "the mom."  I'm not sure why I let things bother me so  much, but I do.  I am working on letting things roll off me, but it's certainly a challenge on which I will have to continue to work.

I went to the pool yesterday with Tyler (my roommate) and he kinda called me out on the carpet about me not fitting in well.  We had a good talk about it, and I feel a little better.  He said that he can tell that I don't thrive with peers my own age, and he has always been the same way.  He helped me realize that I can't hold my own lifestyle choices against the other interns.  I think part of me just wants very much not to like anyone here, so I can make a clean break back to Pittsburgh, where I want to be.  I know that is a really stupid way to think, but sometimes I'm really stupid when it comes to these things.  I am learning to remind myself that having a positive experience here doesn't mean I have to stop missing home.  I can still cry to John on Skype every night if I want to. (Though I promise to try to stop that, babe.) The experience I gain here and the people I meet here will help my career in Pittsburgh and in other places.  That has become the sentence I tell myself every morning when I wake up to help me get through the day.   It may not get easier, but maybe it will at least be a little more enjoyable.

In the meantime, I will still miss getting bundled up and walking around Pittsburgh in the fall and winter, but I will try to find a little more beauty in these bizarre looking palm trees.

Julianne

6 comments:

  1. Jules,

    SO much of this hits me right in the heart. While I read this I said "This is why we are friends" 3 times out loud. Congrats on RUMORS, it's one of my favs! And remember, we always knew you were a champion! Your sadness filled my womb...

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I pass our favorite fall tree I will smile knowing you are beginning to appreciate those funny-shaped palm trees. Find a favorie one and think of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh hell its supposed to be in the high 70s this week and weekend anyway, so you arent missing much fall just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete